OMG. I just finished eating an entire bunch of kale. Raw. Delicious. I don’t even like kale. But I do now.
One of my college friends was in town this weekend. When I mentioned how I’m trying to eat more fruits and vegetables she recommended a cookbook (for which I immediately put in an interlibrary loan request) and wrote down this awesome kale salad recipe for me.
Seriously awesome. This is the second time I’ve made the recipe this week. Both times it’s been gone in a day. Tonight it was gone in one sitting. I didn’t even have the most important ingredient (cheese!), and it was still fabulous. I can’t wait to taste how good it is with the cheese. Because everything is better with cheese.
You have to try this. Here’s the scoop.
1 bunch Tuscan/Dino/Lacinato kale*
1 clove garlic**
1 tsp salt
juice of 1 lemon
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1. Wash, stem, and rip/chop kale leaves into salad sized pieces.
2. Mash garlic clove with salt.
3. Add olive oil, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes and mix.
4. Stir in a lot of grated parmesan. Kelsey says maybe half a cup? I unfortunately forgot to buy parmesan, so I skipped this step.
5. Toss dressing over kale and stir well. Let kale and dressing mingle for 5 minutes so the dressing soaks in.
6. Add bread crumbs and toss to coat. I used panko.
7. Grate more cheese on top if you want.
All amounts approximate. No dinos were harmed in the making of this salad.
*It goes by all three names. Kelsey says chard would work, too.
**I used some pre-minced garlic from a jar. I bought the jar at Target the other day and was so embarrassed, but it’s pretty convenient.