After we got back from our trip to Surfside Beach in July, I really wanted to display some of the cute photos from our vacation. So I decided to create a cork photo display to show off my vacation pictures in a new and fun way!
Of course, the first step was getting those pictures printed! For that, I turned to the handy dandy #WalgreensApp on my iPhone. You can read more about my picture printing experience here. You can find out more about the Walgreens Mobile app here.
1. Download the app. I just searched “Walgreens,” and it was the first result.
2. Click the “Photos” icon. It’s the middle icon on the top row.
3. You can choose to print photos from Instagram, Facebook, or just your phone photos.
4. I chose to print photos from Instagram, so it brought up a login screen. Enter your login info. That should be self-explanatory.
5. Boom! All the Instagram photos I’ve ever taken. Scroll through and choose the ones you want to print.
6. Your photos will upload, and once you’ve uploaded all you want, click “Print to Walgreens.”
7. Choose your quantity and size. Instagram square photos can be printed as 4 x 4 or 8 x 8. Don’t forget to Google for a coupon code (ALLPICS30 worked to take 30% off for me!).
8. Select the location where you want to pick up your pictures. That’s it! Go pick up your pictures in an hour!
How to DIY a Cork Photo Display
Once you’ve got your pictures, the next thing you need is some cork. I think I got these cork rounds from the dollar section at Joanns, but any type of cork would do. I really like the round cork because I plan to hang these on my gallery wall. Round shapes are great at adding visual interest and breaking up all the traditional frames on a gallery wall.
Trace your cork round onto the picture. Then cut it out. I purposefully cut my pictures out a little smaller than the cork round so that an edge would show. It’s kind of like you are creating a cork “mat” for your pictures. I loved the texture that the cork provides, and I think it paired perfectly with my beachy vacation pictures!
After much trial and error, I finally found something that would adhere the photos to the cork. I tried (and failed!) at using glue, and mod podge; and I didn’t think regular old tape would hold for long enough. Finally, I found some permanent adhesive dots that were made for photos. I put about 8 of them around the edge of each pictures and pressed it onto the cork, centering it as best I could.
Have you used the Walgreens phone app to print Instagram photos? What motivates you to get photos and memories out of the phone/camera and on the wall to enjoy?